Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Snowing in April

I really was mad today about the snow.  Every time I looked outside I was almost appalled at the amount of white falling from the sky, sticking to the trees, covering the ground.  Then my friend, Lea,  posted this on Facebook:

 "I think God is expanding our appreciation for spring, the way He grows our appreciation for the forgiveness by leaving us in this sinful flesh. I'm tired of snow and I'm tired of my sin and through that, I can't wait for warmer weather and heaven."

And now tonight as I am once again staring out my window in shock because I think I should see buds on the branches instead of winter white, I am thinking again about that statement.  And truly, the question that came to my mind was ---- am I as appalled at my sin as I am at snow in April?  I mean, honest, this snow isn't going to last.  Next week it's supposed to be hit 70 degrees.  How quick my heart is to complain and whine (gee...sounds a little "fleshy" to me).

Maybe perhaps I should just appreciate the beauty of the snow, even though it's not the timing I'd like.  Maybe I shall be reminded that God's ways are not my ways, his timing not my timing.  And so when I don't know what my future holds - lean into his faithful arms that are ready to hold me.  Instead of letting my heart be crabby and bitter, I will wait with eager expectation for what he has in store for me - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

2 comments:

  1. So true! I could feel the same way about the fact that we have had precipitation 3 times (maybe 4) since last mid-October. Nothing like a sandstorm to complete your day. With all that snow you should have a beautiful spring and summer!

    Have you run in the snow yet? One of my best runs EVER was on a sleety day. I thought it would be horrible, but it was so easy to run in a cooler temp (after Singapore!) and it made me feel tough and alive. Try it! (but make sure the sidewalks are clear first or you'll slip).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful reminder Jen. Thanks for sharing such wonderful insight and truth!

    ReplyDelete