Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sojourner

Sojourn.  It's a word I don't use often, yet I find myself relating more to this term lately. To sojourn is to stay as a temporary resident.  When we committed to come to Orlando, we committed to something for one year.  We find ourselves in temporary residency.


And yet in my heart I know that I want "home" - I want to feel settled.  I do think God placed that desire in us for a reason.  I am not crazy to desire home or to want to feel settled.  It speaks to my inner need for something that this place, or any place I ever live, cannot ever truly fulfill.


No matter how settled I may ever get, the fact of the matter is this:  we are ALL sojourners.

Psalm 144:4

English Standard Version (ESV)
 Man is like a breath;
   his days are like a passing shadow.


Our real home is not here on earth.  We all have a God shape void in our heart that can only be filled by Him.  And yet, so many times we are trying to fill that with so many other things that leave us longing, and give us empty promises.  


So I am going to try to attempt to embrace this sojourner lifestyle.  It seems biblical.  Keeping my eyes fixed on eternity and striking a balance between creating home and not making this earthly home my everything.  In his grace, by the power of His Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jen, my heart goes out to you. While I do not know exactly what your hurting heart is experiencing, I have felt this for 6 years since returning from France (and now for over one year since moving temporarily for grad school, which will last for even 1 1/2 more years). This is the verse that I have clung to time and time again:

    "But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ..." Philippians 3:20.

    Indeed, we were not created for this earth. Praying for you as you "sojourn" through this time.

    ReplyDelete